Now that you know what RSS is, time to learn how to start engaging with it and using software to subscribe to RSS feeds.
There are three types of software that you can use to subscribe to RSS Feeds
- Browser Integration (My Favourite)
- Online Software
- Offline Software
What solution is right for me?
1. Browser Integration is best for people surfing the net all the time, who want to keep right up to date with their RSS and like it all in one neat bundle.
2. Offline software is best for people who aren’t the biggest fans of RSS and only want to check for updates now and then, or who are busy and don’t want to be distracted by updates when they have free time. (Probably best for work lunch breaks)
3. Online Software is best for people who want to view their feeds right around the globe from any computer there on, great for people traveling.
NOTE: Options 1 & 2 with certain programs can sync with online solutions which may be another option for keen RSS’ers
Ok, now which software and how do I use it?
When a feed has been detected in flock, the rss icon will glow orange next to the address bar.
You can change in flocks options how often to check for new feeds as well.
2. Google Reader has been rated the best online feed software. Some advantages include mobile compatibility and many plugins that work with operating systems and software, designed by google themselves.
Sign in or sign up if you don’t have a google account and start adding feeds, or watch this easy tutorial video from youtube.
3. Feed Reader 3 is a great offline RSS Reader. Similar to google reader in features but in a separate offline software package.
What do you use? Have i missed any software solutions? Is there anything else about RSS you would like to know? Please let me know…
As you can see all my posts now have a drop letter just like reading a magazine. If you would like to download this plugin click here
I stumbled across this site which gives multiple statistics for any site. Instead of using multiple sites to retrieve your PR’s and alexa/Technorati: ranks, this site has it all in one! It can find out all the information with one simple click. (although it does take a while to load all the stats)